Athletics are an important part of the SRLA Community. We focus on instructional and competitive play, team-building, and sportsmanship. From our annual pep rally to our faculty and parents support at games and tournaments, SRLA embraces its athletic program as part of its community.
Our program offers an instructional and competitive opportunity for athletes of all ages to learn how to play a sport, participate in a team sport, achieve individual goals and show school spirit. All enrolled SRLA students are welcome to participate in our athletic programs. To encourage participation, we have a “no-cuts” policy in all sports. We want our students to try new sports, have fun, make friends and take pride in our school.
SRLA offers the following sports:
- Cross-Country (Fall) – open to students in grades K-8
- Basketball (Winter) – open to students in grades 3-8
- Track and Field (Spring) – open to students in grades K-8
Our goal is to provide a safe and healthy environment for our students to play sports. Any student playing a sport must have a physical on file with the school nurse. Our parent coaches and athletic committee members are trained to manage health issues or injuries that may occur during practice or in game play.
2021 Cross Country Team (XC)
The XC season runs from September until early November. Practices began Thursday, September 16, 2021. The workouts consist of stretching, strength exercises, wind sprints, and kids running their meet distance twice to build stamina.
XC is open to grades K through 8.
K, 1st and 2nd grade athletes participate in a non-competitive half-mile fun run at the beginning of each meet. 3rd grade and up participate in timed, competitive divisions as follows:
- JV Division, 3rd and 4th grades – ¾ mile
- JV Division, 5th and 6th grades – 1.25 miles
- Varsity, 7th and 8th grades – 1.8 miles
PLEASE NOTE: Parents or caregivers of children in K-2nd grade who are participating must remain at practice and keep an eye on their children at all times.
- Tuesdays: 6:00 pm to 7:00 p.m., Meisel Avenue Park, Springfield, NJ (Grades 3 to 8 ONLY)
- Thursdays: 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Meisel Avenue Park, Springfield, NJ (K-8)
(Meet times to be provided later. Meets are usually in the mornings.)
9/25 - Assumption Invitational
10/2 or 10/3 - OLS Cross Country Invitational
10/23 - Holy Trinity Cross Country Invitational
10/30 - Halloween Spooktacular
11/7 - St. John Meet of Champions
What the Kids Need to Participate
- “Real” running shoes and appropriate running clothes: Athletes should wear t-shirts and shorts for practice. As we move into the fall months, temperatures will cool off during practice, so please make sure your athlete has a light jacket or sweatshirt. Water bottles are a must!
- Completed health forms
- Register here for the Fall 2021 St. Rose Cross Country Season.
- Registration fee is $45, and will be billed to your SmartTuition Account.